Blog

Friday, May 20, 2016

19 May

This is a day late. Whoops.

Classes started today at Qasid. I was placed in the Arabic 3 class (out of 5). The classes here are Sunday to Thursday from 9AM to 1PM. We actually have two teachers, Ustaadha Noor and Ustaadha Muna. One seems to focus more on vocabulary and Fusha, while the other focuses on speaking and 3ammiyyah. Four hours sounds insane for one long Arabic class, but it wasn't too bad today, at least.

Culture/Language notes:

  • There's a propane truck that makes the rounds in residential neighborhoods. You can hear it's jingle all around the city before it comes to your place. Kind of like the ice cream truck in America. It makes sense, everyone needs propane, and jingles are great marketing. I can hear it outside my window right now.
  • Most women hear wear a headscarf. The few women I've seen who don't wear one are usually foreigners of some kind.
  • There's a lot of cats wandering the streets, but I haven't seen any dogs yet. Do Jordanians own dogs? Do dogs just not exist in this country, for the most part? I haven't seen any pets or pet stores yet.
  • People go ham on the car horns here. Even in traffic jams when it's clear that no one is moving, you can hear a cacophony of horns going off. It's almost cathartic.

Falafel making machine at a joint across Qasid. Sandwiches for 0.5 JD. This is my new favorite place in Amman


A view of a busy Amman street


A blurry view of my thumb. Also some buildings















No comments:

Post a Comment