Blog

Monday, May 23, 2016

23 May

Same schedule - Qasid, lecture on refugees in Jordan.

I tried making hummus today. I used a simple recipe I found online using chickpeas, tahini, garlic, and lemon juice. Most online recipes call for a food processor, but we unfortunately don't have one in our apartment, and I can't justify buying one for two months. So, I made do with mashing chickpeas with a fork and hand-chopping garlic. The end result had a texture that was nothing like the creamy smooth beauty in Jordanian restaurants. Instead, it more resembled partially kneaded dough that wasn't watered enough, or maybe the "cheese" in MREs, and had chunks of chickpea and garlic. Surprisingly, it did manage to taste like hummus.

Next time I'll try using more liquid, in the form of lemon/lime juice (limes are much cheaper here compared to imported lemons) and olive oil. Maybe I should invest in a mortar and pestle for smoother hummus.


The hummus in question. As you can see, the texture isn't quite there.

No comments:

Post a Comment